Group one presented on Wednesday about the different racial stereotypes in the media and how various races are perceived. There are common stereotypes surrounding blacks, Jews, Mexicans and Asians, and people tend to be acutely aware of political correctness when dealing with these races. So often, however, I believe that the Caucasian race is overlooked and people do not think that we are racially persecuted or perceived just because we are the current majority. So often the white culture is portrayed to be a middle class family of four with a hard working father, a stay at home mother who is a genius in the kitchen and two very athletic and good looking children. Whites are also commonly portrayed at greedy, adulterous, vicious and condescending towards minorities. I for one do not fit into any of those roles.
I truly believe that every race is stereotyped and profiled by the media, but I also believe that in attempts to be more neutral and politically correct, whites are overlooked as targets to racism. The general public is more concerned with being fair to other races as to appear that they are not racist. But racism works both ways and as journalists we need to ensure that we realize that.
No comments:
Post a Comment